Outlander episode The Wedding aired on 9/20/14 at 9pm ET on Starz
Synopsis: Marriage to a Scot seems to be the only legal way out to save Claire from falling into the paws of Black Jack Randall. And Jamie accepts to become her husband and protect her. Claire is overwhelmed by circumstances that are forcing her into becoming an adulteress and a bigamist. The hasty marriage takes place and, in order to be legal, it must be consummated that night.
What I loved even though it was
different from the book….
- The layout of the episode….At first I was like WTH no wedding but then I knew they would have to take us all back there somehow. I had seen photos and there was all this talk of his wonderful wedding dress which I knew was not in the pictures posted online. So as they led us back to the events of the day through flashbacks. All good 🙂
- I also liked that in using the flashbacks that we got to see things from Jamie’s perspective and not just Claire’s. It gave the episode a different feel.
- I was SOOOO happy they didn’t overuse the voiceovers. While they are necessary in some places to move the story along, in others they just seem to distract you. I’m glad they are using them less.
- I loved that their “first time” was just that a first time. Not this swinging from the chandelier stuff you see in a lot of TV shows. I mean, let’s be honest virgin or not your first time with a partner is always a bit awkward and never goes according to plan.
- OMG… Ned going to get the wedding dress at the brothel that was just freaking hilarious. The looks on his face were priceless. Loved it!
- The dress…OMG it was gorgeous!!! Such details and craft(wo)manship. I bet that it was freaking heavy as heck to wear though. Glad we don’t dress like that nowadays too.
- Jamielious looks
Ok… what I didn’t care for…
- The opening scene with Frank & Claire going to get married. Wasn’t the same church as Jamie & Claire get married in which really freaks Claire out in the book version. In fact they show a scene that’s in England and not even Scotland.
- The fact that they left out the “honesty” speech that Jamie gives after they are married. Although they may put that in at a later date we’ll just have to wait and see I suppose.
- And most of all……The Ring… While I appreciate the symbolism of the ring made from a key or should I say the key to Lallybroch and it’s way better than a ring made from a nail which was one idea pitched, it’s not the ring that Jamie gave Claire. In the book when Jamie gets back to Leoch he asks for his portions of the rent money that he is due since he is a married man now. Claire finds this out and being like most women jumps to the conclusion that this is really why he married her, for the money. They get into a fight about it. Then she has to eat her words when she finds out that he wanted the money to have a proper ring made for her. I am soooo hoping they fix this error some way, some how. Plus there is the engraving on the inside that is special. That is the biggest thing I didn’t care for. Sorry Ron… you got that part wrong…just MHO but it’s ok I love the show and it really doesn’t matter in the end does it.
The Verra Fine Arse